Data Population is a simple yet powerful feature that allows you to pre-fill your survey with information you already know about participants. This feature not only helps you to personalize your surveys, but also avoids survey fatigue for participants.
Data Population is broadly classified in two categories: Pre-Population and Post-Population.
- Pre [Read Only]: When applied, participants can see but cannot edit the pre-selected answer option.
- Pre [Editable]: Participants can edit the pre-selected answer option when this feature is applied.
- Pre [Hidden]: Participants do not see a question with this feature applied. This sub feature is generally used to include sensitive data as a part of survey analysis.
- Post [Show]: Questions with this feature applied will be visible to participants, although no data will be pre-filled.
- Post [Hide]: Questions that have this feature applied will NOT be visible to participants.
Once a survey has been submitted, you can add data in these fields by generating an Individual Report under the Report section. After you generate this report, click on ‘Post-Populate’, and add the required data in the post-populated fields.
To enable Data Population for your survey questions:
- Under the Design tab, create a survey or select an existing survey to edit.
- Hover over the chosen question, then click on More and select Data Population.
- Only the following question types can have Data Population applied to them: Drop Down, Radio button, Horizontal Radio, Rating Scale, Rating Radio Button, Rating Drop Down, Text Box, Date, Multiple Text Box, Multiple Drop Down.
- You cannot apply Data Population to Matrix Grid, Attachment, and Comment type of questions.
- Select any one of the Data Population methods.
An alternate route:
- Hover over any question, then click on the Edit option.
- Select the Data Population dropdown list, and choose any one method.
- Save your changes.
If a question has been marked as mandatory, then only Pre [Editable] and Post [Show] options will be available for Data Population.
If a question has Quota Management applied, only post-population can be used.