Can you share some design best practices?
Of course! Here’s our quick video on a few best practices in survey design:
How can I change the title of my project?
While editing your project, click on the Options icon on the Design menu bar, then select Project Details. Here you can edit Title, Description, and Owner.
If you are looking to change the text that appears at the top of each page of your survey, then you might be looking to change the Header of your survey. To edit the header, simply click on Designer, and you’ll see the header at the top of each survey page. Click to edit and remember to save!
How do I add an “Other” option to my question?
The question types listed below allow you to add an “Other, please specify” option:
– Radio Button
– Horizontal Radio Button
– Rating Radio Button
– List Box
To apply an “Other” option, simply check the box that says “Include ‘Other’ text responses” found at the bottom of your answer options when editing a question.
How do I add a comment or statement to my project?
To add any one-time introductory text, instructions, statements, or comments to your survey, use the Descriptive Text! Simply drag and drop, then enter in your text. Remember to save!
How do I add a “thank you” message to my project? How can I update contact information in the “thank you” message?
A ‘Thank you’ message can be displayed to participants once they submit the survey. Here’s how:
- Within Design, click the Options icon on the Design menu bar.
- From the dropdown menu that appears, click on Thank You Page.
- In response to the question at the top [‘Would you like to display…?’] toggle this option on.
- Enter or update content in the field below, then Save.
How do I add a header/footer to my project?
Remember that a header or footer will appear on every page. If you want to add text in just one location, use a comment.
- From the Designer page, click the + Add Header option at the top of any page canvas or the + Add Footer strip at the bottom of any page.
- Enter your header/footer content in the text boxes and click Save.
Can I insert a graphic in the footer of my project?
Yes. You can insert a graphic in the footer of your project using HTML code. The graphic will need to be hosted on the internet in order for you to accomplish this. Please Contact Support for more details.
Can I insert a graphic as part of a question?
Yes. You can insert graphics in your many question types as well as answer options.
- Click on the Add Media icon above the Question Text Box and Answer options.
- Choose how to add graphics – either Upload, drag and drop or Embed Code/URL.
- To upload, browse to locate a file on your computer or drag and drop.
- To use an online image, click Embed Code/URL, then enter the link/code.
Can I add audio or video files to my project?
Yes. Audio and video files can be used in your project, based on your account type. Follow the instructions above [Can I insert a graphic as part of a question?’] to browse and select an audio or video file.
How do I direct my participants to questions that only apply to them?
You can direct your participants to specific questions or pages by using logic options, including Question Display Logic and Branching. Branching allows you to guide each participant page by page along a path of specific questions based on answers the participant has already chosen from previous questions. Question Display Logic allows you to show or hide follow-up questions based on a participant’s earlier responses, and can be used on a single page or across pages.
To learn more about using logic options within your project, check out this video.
What is the difference between ranking and rating questions?
- RANKING: A ranking question asks the participant to arrange each item listed in order of preference. For example: Rank your top three favorite types of music.Ranking questions can also be used with Answer Constraints to ensure participants are focusing their attention on their top choices rather than ranking every single item in a long list.
RATING: A rating question is a single-select question that asks the participant to choose a single point on a scale that indicates a level of agreement, satisfaction, etc.. For example: Please rate your level of agreement with our new policy.
In addition to providing qualitative answer options (Strongly Agree, Agree, etc.), rating questions allow you to assign quantitative weights to each answer (Strongly Agree = 5, Agree = 4, etc.). As a result, your reports will show both frequency (how many times each answer option was selected) and an average weighted score.
Why are there extra line breaks in my question?
Unusual formatting is often a result of copying content from Microsoft Word or another program. Beyond the text, hidden HTML code may also be copied. To avoid/address this issue, you have a few options:
- While entering the question text, you may click on the ‘Paste from Word’ icon near the right end of the editing bar. Paste your text into the box, then click OK.
- While editing the question text, click on the Source icon at the far right of the editing bar. You may remove any extra character seen here, then click the Source icon again to ensure the display is correct.
Can I switch between question types?
Yes! It’s possible to switch between many different question types rather than starting over. Save time and earn more here:
How do I remove a page break?
If you have one page break too many, you have a few options. Simply remove questions from the page to be deleted and it will disappear automatically. A few options:
- Move questions to the correct page using Rearrange Questions.
- Move questions to the correct page by hovering over the question, clicking on the three dots at the far right of the menu, then clicking Move and choosing the destination.
- If you have already applied logic on your project and don’t want to move questions around, you also have the option to copy questions into new locations.
How do I expire my project?
To meet your needs, multiple expiration options are available:
- To choose expiration options while editing: Within your project, click on the Options icon in the Design menu bar. From the dropdown, choose Expiry Rules.
- To expire a live project immediately: Click on the All Projects icon in the top left corner of your screen. Hover over the green dot in front of your project’s name, then click the dropdown arrow beside the dot and choose Expire.
- To set advanced expiration options on a live project: Click on the All Projects icon in the top left corner of your screen. Then, hover over your project and click More, then Expiry Rules. Choose one of the options listed and then click Save.
- To immediately expire your project, select ‘Expire the project now’.
- To leave the project open as long as you have your account, select ‘Expire when the account expires’.
- To set a specific date or more complex expiry conditions, select ‘Advanced Expiration Rules’ and make your choices.
Can I edit an active project?
Yes. You can edit the question text and answer option text in an active project. To make text changes to your active project, simply hover your mouse over the question or answer text and click to Edit icon to edit.
To help preserve the integrity of your data, structural changes are not allowed once a project becomes active, but you can add or delete a question/page. Structural changes include changing question types, add Branching, Question Display Logic, Data population or remove Piping.
To learn more about options for editing a live project, check out this video.
What happens if I edit a live project?
Think twice before you make changes to a live project.
If it’s a small change, like fixing a typo or changing the background color, no worries.
If it’s a more significant change in the content presented to participants, consider all of the possible impacts to participants, to reports, and to any saved settings.
A few examples:
- Added a question? Results will suggest that participants who didn’t see the question simply did not answer.
- Deleted an answer option? Results will suggest that participants who chose that answer simply did not answer.
- Deleted a question? If it was used to generate a filter or conditions in a report, the filter or report will be deleted.
- A filter will be deleted if it is based on a question or answer option that is deleted.
- An emailed report will be deleted if it is based on a deleted question or answer option.
- A Conditional Report, Cross Tab, Pivot Table, or Comparison Report will be deleted if its conditions are based on deleted questions or answers.
- If all open-ended questions in a project are deleted, a blank Verbatim Report may be generated.
- The Omni Report must be reset to include any newly added question.
- Removing the first sub-question in a grid question will delete the grid in an Omni Report.
Do you have any suggestions about avoiding common mistakes in project design?
Sure! Take a look at our video on common design pitfalls and how to avoid them:
How do I copy a project?
You have two options to make a copy of your project:
- From Home, click the Create Project icon. From any other screen, click ‘+ Create’ in the top right.
- Under ‘Where would you like to begin?’ Click on ‘Copy an Existing Project’.
- Click on the All Projects icon in the top left corner of your screen.
- Hover over the project you’d like to copy, then click on More at the far right.
- From the dropdown, click Copy.
- Choose whether to copy this project into this or a different account.
How can I delete my project?
Remember that deleting your project will delete all of its data. This includes your project (of course!) but also any responses, filters, saved reports, or emailed reports. This deletion is permanent and content cannot be recovered.
If you still want to delete your project, here’s how:
Again, deleted content cannot be retrieved.
Why can’t I find my project?
If you’re looking for a project and can’t find it, you can always use the search option to check all of your folders. No luck? Then, double-check the filter in the top right corner of your list of projects.
Does SoGoSurvey have a mobile app I can use to create quick surveys and collect data on the go?
Absolutely! Check out the intro video below, then download the app and see for yourself!
Only surveys can be created on the Mobile App.
Why can’t I add more than one metric question (NPS/CSAT/CES)?
Metrics questions can be added only once to your project to simplify tracking on your Dashboard and streamline results.
How can I add scores to an open-ended question?
Open-ended questions cannot be scored automatically, but you may choose to use Post-Population fields to add scores and feedback for follow-up and tracking.