Multiple Text Box
The Multiple Text Box question type is perfect when you’d like to ask participants to provide responses to a series of related open-ended questions. For example, you might use this question type to ask participants to list three cities they’ve visited recently. Along with the option to set formatting validation on specific boxes (email address, numbers, etc.) the Multiple Text Box provides more structure than a standard Text Box – improving data quality.
To add a Multiple Text Box question to your survey, drag and drop the question type from the panel on the left to the correct spot on the right.
As you build this question, you’ll see the following options:
- Add Sub-Question text (the prompts/labels for each field) or leave this blank if the prompts are clearly identified in the question.
- For each Text Box field, you can set a different format. You’ll see the following formats:
- General: This format allows the participant to enter any type of text.
- Currency: This format requires the participant to enter a number within a range that you set. If you do not set a range, any number will be accepted. You can choose to display a currency symbol by checking ‘Append currency symbol’ and choosing a currency from the drop down menu.
- Email: This format requires the participant to enter an email address including an @ sign and a period. Check the box to require participants to enter the address twice for validation.
- Phone Number: This format requires the participant to enter a phone number in the format (201) 555-0123.
- Number: This format requires the participant to enter a valid number. You may set an expected range by identifying high and low values. If you do not set a range, any number will be accepted. You can also choose to accept only integer number by checking on ‘Allow only integer value’. This will accept only numbers without decimal.
- Percentage: This format requires the participant to enter a valid number. You can also restrict answers to be within a given range. If you do not set a range, any number will be accepted.
- Social Security Number: This format requires the participant to enter a numbers in the ###-##-#### format.
- U.S. ZIP Code: This format requires the participant to enter exactly five digits.
- U.S. ZIP Code + 4: This format requires the participant to enter exactly five or nine digits.
- Custom: This option allows you to create a customized required format. Enter ‘#’ for numbers and ‘@’ for alphabetic characters. For example, if your organization uses employee IDs like mmk777, you may require the format @@@###.
- For every general Text Box, choose from a variety of formatting options available:
- Limit total character count
To modify character count, enter the character count which will also display the approx. number of words. You may also choose whether to display the available character count to participants.
- Adjust height and width
You set the width in percentage and define height with number of lines.
- Limit total character count
Once you’ve set the format for a particular field, you may choose to click the arrow icon to apply the same settings to all.
Within this question type, the following options are available: