Data Population is a powerful feature that lets you fill surveys with extra data before or after participants respond. This leads to personal, shorter, and more engaging surveys and better results. There are two types of Data Population: Pre- and Post-Population.
Pre-Population is more common and works best with single-use links or passwords. Applying this feature allows you to pre-fill information you already know about participants, saving time and improving data quality.
- Create the survey question(s) you would like to pre-fill (Ex: Location), then set your question(s) for Pre-Population (See Enabling Data Population below).
- Create a spreadsheet that includes the relevant data for each participant (Ex: Fields for Email Address and Location). For single- or multi-select questions, answers in your spreadsheet must exactly match the answer options in your survey. Load this spreadsheet in Contact Manager.
- Confirm your pre-population as you send invitations.
Types of Pre-population:
- Pre [Read Only]: When applied, participants can see but cannot edit the pre-selected answer option.
- Pre [Editable]: Participants can edit the pre-selected answer option when this feature is applied.
- Pre [Hidden]: Participants do not see a question with this feature applied. This sub feature is generally used to include sensitive data as a part of survey analysis.
This option allows you to fill data in a participant’s response after the survey has been submitted. For example, you might want to keep track of whether a certain applicant was hired or whether a registrant paid a conference fee. This is a great choice when you’d like to track follow-up activity or run reports on data participants might not be able to provide before submitting.
- Create the survey question(s) you would like to post-fill (Ex: Payment received?), then set your question(s) for Post-Population (See Enabling Data Population below).
- Once a survey has been submitted, you can post-populate data in these fields by generating an Individual Report under the Report section.
- In the Individual Report, click on ‘Post-Populate’, and add the required data in the post-populated fields. Save.
Types of post-population:
- Post [Show]: Questions with this feature applied will be visible to participants, although no answer can be entered.
- Post [Hide]: Questions that have this feature applied will NOT be visible to participants.
Enabling Data Population
- Create a new survey or select a survey to edit.
- Choose the question on which data population should be applied.
- Choose one of two ways to enable data population:
- Hover over the chosen question, then click on More, select Data Population, and choose from the menu.
- Hover over any question, click on the Edit option, then select Data Population on the left panel and choose from the options displayed.
- Select any one of the Data Population methods.
You cannot apply Data Population to Descriptive Text, Matrix Grids, or Attachment question types.
If a question has been marked as Mandatory, then only Pre [Editable] and Post [Show] options will be available for Data Population.
If a question has Quota Management applied, only Post-Population can be used.