To ensure that participants provide responses to certain questions, mark these questions as Mandatory. If participants do not respond to these Mandatory questions, they will not be allowed to proceed to the next pages of your survey.
Keep in mind that this is a powerful feature, and use the Mandatory setting for only the answers you need most. Participants who become frustrated that they can’t move past certain questions without answering might drop out of the survey completely.
A few simple steps will help you to mark questions as Mandatory Response:
- Create a new survey or select a survey to edit.
- Choose the question that will be marked as Mandatory.
- If you’re still creating the question, find the menu panel on the left and check the box in front of Mandatory Response, then save.
- If you’ve already created and saved the question, you may simply hover over the question and check the box in front of Mandatory Response in the editing bar that appears.
- Preview your survey to test the setting. Once the mandatory option is set, a red asterisk will appear to the left of the question. As needed, this color can be customized under Visual Settings.
Mark questions as Mandatory only when you must have answers. If your survey has many required questions, many red asterisks will automatically be displayed on your pages.
If you want to improve the initial appearance, you may hide these asterisks by default. If a participant leaves a Mandatory question blank and tries to continue to the next page, an asterisk will appear to identify the relevant question.
- Create a new survey or select a survey which has mandatory questions.
- In the Design menu bar, click the Options icon and choose Display Options.
- In response to ‘Show asterisks for mandatory questions?’, toggle to your choice and click Save.
On an Mandatory Response question, the only Data Population options available are Pre-Editable and Post-Show.