One of the many ways to avoid survey bias is to use the ‘Answer Sequence’ feature in your survey. By changing the order in which answers appear, you can avoid biasing participants toward the first answer choice (primacy bias) or later answer choices (recency bias).
Answer Sequence options allow you to present answers to each participant as entered, in a rotated order, or in a random order.
Follow the steps listed below to set up the answer sequence:
- Create a new survey or select a survey to edit.
- Choose the right question, then hover on the text, and click Edit.
- On the panel to the left, choose your desired answer sequence:
- As Entered: Default, answer options displayed in the order in which they were entered
- Rotate: Rotates the answer options by one position each time the survey is accessed
- Randomize: Displays answer options randomly each time the survey is accessed