Question Display Logic
Question Display Logic is a type of skip logic that hides a certain question on a page unless the participant responds in a particular way to an earlier question. This feature allows you to ask questions to only those participants for whom the questions would be relevant.
For example, you might ask students, “Do you think you would benefit from a personal meeting with your teacher?” with the options “Yes” or “No.” A participant who answered “No” might move on to the next page, while a participant who answered “Yes” could see the follow-up question asking about possible meeting times.
The initial question is referred to as the ‘Decision’ question, and a question that depends on it is the ‘Show-Hide’ question. Show-Hide questions must be positioned later in the survey than the Decision question they follow, but they may be on the same page or separate pages.
Question Display Logic should be one of your last steps in building your survey. After your Question Display Logic has been set, you will not be able to rearrange your questions.
Follow these steps to set up QDL:
- Create a new survey or select a survey to edit.
- Be sure that you have added all questions and finalized the order of your questions before applying Question Display Logic. Note: You cannot rearrange questions after applying Question Display Logic.
- Hover over the chosen question, then click on More and select Question Display Logic. A pop-up window will appear, displaying the first display logic to be set.
- From the drop down list, select the Show-Hide question from the drop down list. This is the question that will be hidden from participants by default. The first question of your survey cannot be set as Show-Hide.
- Next, select the Decision question. This is the question that will decide whether to display the Show-Hide question or not. A Descriptive Text cannot be set as a decision question.
You cannot set a question as Show-Hide more than once, though a question can be set as a Decision question multiple times. A Decision question can have multiple Show-Hide questions.
- Choose as the condition either ‘is one of the following’ or ‘is not one of the following’.
- Select the answer option(s) from the list on the right-hand side.
- Save your settings.
- To set more display logic, click on the ‘Add New Question Display Logic’ button and follow the above steps.
- Preview your survey to ensure your Question Display Logic is functioning as intended.
- To delete a QDL rule, click on the Delete icon on the top right-hand corner of every rule.
A Show-Hide question can be the Decision question for another Show-Hide question. This is known as nesting of Question Display Logic.