Question Display Logic allows you to show/hide a survey question, displaying it only to participants when they select a particular answer option to an earlier question. Question Display Logic (QDL) is especially useful for follow-up questions and can be included on a single page.
Here are the steps to set this feature for your survey questions:
- Under the Design tab, create a survey or select an existing survey to edit.
- Be sure that you have added all questions and finalized the order of your questions before applying Question Display Logic.
You cannot rearrange questions after applying the Question Display Logic feature.
- Hover over the chosen question, then click on More and select Question Display Logic. A pop-up window will appear, displaying the first display logic to be set.
- From the dropdown list, select the Show-Hide question from the drop down list. This is the question that will be hidden from participants by default.
You cannot set the first question of your survey as Show-Hide.
- Next, select the Decision question. This is the question that will decide whether to display the Show-Hide question or not. A comment cannot be set as a decision question.
You cannot set a question as Show-Hide more than once, though a question can be set as a decision question multiple times. A Decision question can have multiple Show-Hide questions.
- Choose as the condition either ‘is one of the following’ or ‘is not one of the following’.
- Select the answer option(s) from the list on the right-hand side.
- Save your settings.
- To set more display logic, click on the ‘Add New Question Display Logic’ button and follow the above steps.
- Preview your survey to ensure your Question Display Logic is functioning as you intended.
- If you need to delete a QDL rule, you can click on the Delete icon on the top right-hand corner of every logic.
A Show-Hide question can be the Decision question for another Show-Hide question. This is known as the nesting of Question Display Logic.